Okara became Tehsil Headquarters in 1918 when a network of canal irrigation was completed in the area. As on July 1, 1982, Okara District began operating as a district. It covers a space of 4,377 sq. km. The name of the wild plant, ‘Okaan’, was the origin of the name Okara. Okara district is composed of three sub-divisions Okara, Renala Khurd and Depalpur. The current main city was constructed by the British Raj in six blocks, each of which contained identically sized and shaped residences. Such meticulously planned town planning had never been seen before.
By population, it is Pakistan’s 23rd-largest city. The population of Okara, according to the Population census 2017 is 461,934. It is estimated that it will increase upto 539,814 in 2022 with and average growth rate of 3.06. The average household size is 6.39 in Okara City. Apart from the Muslims, Okara had a sizable Punjabi, Hindu and Sikh population until India was partitioned in August 1947. During the partition, the Muslims from East Punjab came to this region while the Hindus and Sikhs of Okara have to abandon their ancestral homes and relocate to India.
The Lahore-Multan Grand Trunk Road connects it to Lahore. The city is 100 kilometres southwest of Lahore and may be reached via bypassing the Ravi River. It is renowned for its cotton mills and agriculture-based economy. Sahiwal, historically Montgomery, is the major city closest to Okara. East of the city is where Kasur is also situated. Okara is home to Pakistani military dairy farms that are well-known for its cheese. A town in the Okara district called Pul Dhool is close to the Abdulla Sugar Mill. On Hujra Chunian road is Pul Dhool. 9 km from Hujra Shah Muqeem and 17 km from Chunian. These farms were started before the establishment of Pakistan in 1947.